Friday 18 November 2011

Module Build

Module Build:


     As promised, here is a detailed account of how I built my modules.
The tools needed:

Tape Measure
Drywall T-Square (or large builders square)
Tin Snips (straight cut)
Small clamp
Pencil
Screw gun (#2 Phillips and Robertson bits)
Drill
Bits (5/16", 11/32", 3/8" and small pilot hole bit)
Level
Hammer
Foam compatible adhesive (I use Lapage PL Premium)
Caulking Gun
Long blade utility knife
Spare blades
Wrenches and/or ratchet & socket (9/16", 1/2")
<>

These are the "Rails" that form the long edges of the modules. I use the 2" x 3" size (actual dimensions are 1 3/16" x 2 7/16"). They come in 10' lengths so 2 are necessary to build the 90" modules


I measured the 90" length and marked all three edges using a small square.




With the tin snips I cut the short edges first and then bend the rail and cut the long edge. The long cut will end up slightly curved due to the nature of the tin snips, so I make sure the curve is concave on the piece that will be kept. I need two of these for each module.



Next come the studs themselves. These come in 8' lengths and are nominally narrower than the rails so that they fit inside the rail without distorting the shape. Also, they have holes that allow for the passage of wiring, plumbing and/or stiffeners.


I mark and cut the studs as I did the rails but I cut them slightly shorter than the desired width of the module. In this case 29 3/4" for the desired 30" width. This gives me room to fine tune the width during assembly. I also ensure that each piece has at least one hole for wiring.


Ready for assembly... well almost (if you notice there are only 6 studs... 7 will be needed)


I start the assembly by attaching the end studs to the rails. I put one wafer screw as close to the corner as possible while ensuring that the pieces are flush and near square... remembering to leave a slight (1/8") gap between the end of the stud and the rail. I repeat this on the remaining corners (top and bottom) and make sure that the width of the module is 30" on each side. If I make a mistake I can simply remove the screw, reposition the pieces and re screw.





Once the four corner screws are in, I square the module using my drywall T-Square (a regular building square would also work). I then put a second wafer screw into each corner to lock the module square.



With both ends and both sides secured I set out the cross members. I set the first one 15" from the end of the module (These will be the ones that the legs will eventually be connected to) and the second at 30". The centre cross member I simply put dead centre. These measurements are arbitrary and could really be anything I see fit. When I set out the studs I make sure that the wiring holes are as lined up as possible as this will help when it comes time to wire the module.



Only four screws are necessary to hold each cross members in place. When screwing the cross members I fine tune the width to the desired 30". 


There you have it! One module base. In a future post I will show you how I built the leg structures and attached the foam tops.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment