Saturday 31 December 2011

Peace River Rail Bridge


The Peace River Rail bridge, along with the iconic auto bridge, will be the centre piece of the whole layout. A faithful reproduction of the two unique bridges will enable the viewer of the layout to immediately recognise that this is Peace River, Alberta.
 
 
View from the air, looking north


Construction of the prototype railway bridge was started in January of 1917 and completed on November 8th, 1918 at the, then, scandalous price of just under $1 million plus a further grant of $175 thousand from the Alberta government to plank the bridge and install railings so that it could be shared with road vehicle traffic. This arrangement lasted until 1968 when the auto bridge was opened.

Post Card from the 1920's, looking east.

The bridge consists of 11 spans: The centre "Through Truss", 3 Deck Truss spans on either side of that and 2 girder bridge approach spans on either bank for a total length of 1736 feet.



Modelling this landmark will present a challenge. I began with Central Valley Pratt Truss Bridge kits. Heavily modified, I can use these to model the main superstructures' 7 spans.

Central Valley Pratt Truss Bridge (Great detail!)

Although the Deck Truss spans of the real bridge consist of 7 "panels" each, the dimensions of the Central Valley kit dictated that I construct the spans with only 6 panels. A compromise that I believe will only be noticeable to the most knowledgeable of viewers.


Other deviations from the prototype are the absence of much of the cross bracing. I decided to leave this out for fear that the model would become too cluttered looking and lose the "airiness" of the prototype. Once the bridge is complete I may decide to add this detail.

So far I have only built 2 of the deck truss spans and these still need to have their walkways added but keep looking back at this post because I will be adding to it as the bridge progresses. Once completed the model will be 103" long and span a complete module and parts of the two adjoining modules, a scale 1373', or 80% of the actual length.


The challenges ahead are how to model the 2 types of unique concrete piers (seen below) that support the bridge and the building of the approach spans on either side of the main structure.



Stay tuned!!!

4 comments:

  1. I hope it turns out well. I think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! It's a long term project and going painfully slowly but I'm in it for the long run.

      Keep watching as I will be making some new posts soon.

      Mike

      Delete
  2. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete